Zuppa Toscana Soup
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free
Inspired by Olive Garden, Zuppa Toscana Soup is a cream-based soup with hot Italian sausage, onion, garlic, potatoes, and kale topped with bacon and Parmesan. A hearty copycat soup for the fall and winter months, this is a must-try recipe!
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage
3 garlic cloves, minced
28 oz. chicken broth
3 cups allowed milk
3 tbsp. flour
3 tbsp. vegan buttery spread
4 russet potatoes (sub 1 package gnocchi)
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
Salt & pepper
4 cups kale
1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled.
¼ cup vegan Parmesan cheese
1. Brown sausage in skillet. Remove sausage and set aside.
2. Cook bacon. Reserve 2 tbsp. bacon grease. Remove rest of grease from pan.
3. Use the same pan and reserved bacon drippings to sauté the onions for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for another minute.
4. Add flour and an equal amount buttery spread. Cook for 2 minutes or so until the flour starts to brown. Slowly mix in allowed milk.
5. Combine cream sauce, chicken broth, sausage, 1/4 of the bacon, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring to slow boil then simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Thinly slice potatoes and add to soup. Cook for about 5 minutes.
7. Add the kale to the soup and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
8. Serve and top with vegan Parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon.