Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free, Gluten-Free
Venison lasagna layers of noodles, meat sauce, and cheese. Full disclosure, ricotta was not included. There are vegan ricotta alternatives out there, we just prefer extra mozzarella and Parmesan instead!
- 1 box lasagna noodles
1 lb. Venison Italian sausage
1 lb. ground venison
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
12 oz. can tomato paste
2/3 cup water
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. parsley
2 tsp. dried basil
¾ tsp. fennel seed
¾ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
4 cups shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
1 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
1. Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain and let cool on a flat surface.
2. In a large pan, cook the venison Italian sausage. Once cooked through, set aside in a bowl. Cook the ground venison and diced onions. Towards the last 2-3 minutes of cooking, add the minced garlic.
3. In a large sauce pan, combine the cooked venison, onions, and garlic along with the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, parsley, basil, fennel, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
5. In a 11 x 15 baking pan, spread 1 cup meat sauce. Then layer 3 noodles, 1 cup meat sauce, 1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese, and 2 tbsp. vegan Parmesan cheese. Repeat the layer 2-3 times depending on the height of your baking dish. For the top layer, layer noodles then extra meat sauce and Daiya mozzarella.
6. Bake covered 25 minutes.
7. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes longer or until bubbly.
8. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.