Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free
Tortilla Soup is a tomato-based soup with chicken, red pepper, yellow pepper, jalapeno pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes, black beans, and corn with crispy, fried tortilla strips. This tasty soup would be a great addition to a Mexican smorgasbord or it could be considered a "Meal in itself."
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 red pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
14.5 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes with chilies
6 cups chicken broth
1 can black beans
1 can corn
¼ cup cilantro
1 cup jasmine rice (optional)
1. Heat a large skillet with canola and/or vegetable oil. Aim for 1/4 to 1/2 inch oil.
2. While the oil is heating, slice the corn tortillas in half then slice into thin strips. Work with about 4-5 corn tortillas at a time. Place the strips in the heated oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until strips start to brown. Remove from heat, set on paper towel to drain, and let cool. Once cooled, I like to store the homemade tortilla strips in mason jars.
3. Meanwhile, cook/boil chicken breasts until done. Remove from heat, let cool, and then shred the chicken.
4. Dice the red pepper, yellow pepper, jalapeno, and onion. Heat a large skillet with 1 tbsp. vegan buttery spread or olive oil. Sauté veggies for 8 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for another minute. Add sautéed veggies to soup pot.
5. Add cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes with chilies, chicken broth, black beans, corn, and shredded chicken to soup pot.
6. Bring the soup to boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Serve the soup with fresh cilantro and fried corn tortilla strips.
*** You can serve with rice as well. Usually I make 1 cup rice according to package instructions, store separate, and let everyone decide how many carbs they want to add to the soup!