Sweet and Sour Chicken
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free
Sweet and Sour Chicken is an Asian classic with crispy chicken, bell peppers, and pineapple.
- 2 ½ lbs. chicken breasts
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup allowed milk
1 cup flour
16 oz. Pineapple Slices, strained and diced
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 white onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
Vegetable Oil for Frying
½ cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup ketchup
4 tsp. soy sauce or Liquid Amino Acids
2 garlic cloves
Green onions, diced
1. Pour enough canola oil into a skillet, about an inch to an inch and half. Heat oil.
2. Coat chicken in cornstarch. Dip coated chicken pieces into allowed milk then coat in flour mixture again. Cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side, until cooked & crispy.
3. Remove and set on cookie seat. Repeat with remaining chicken.
4. Remove all oil but 1 tbsp. Add bell peppers, onion, and pineapple. Cook 1-2 minutes until crisp and tender.
5. Meanwhile, to make the sauce, whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, and garlic into a small bowl.
6. Add the sauce back and stir to cook the pieces and cook for 30 seconds.
7. Add chicken pieces and stir until sauce has thickened and bubbly.
8. Serve over rice. Top with sesame seeds or green onions.