Strawberry Lemon Cake
Dairy-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free, Peanut-Free, Egg-Free
This Strawberry Lemon Cake is made up of layers of lemon cake with strawberry buttercream topped with extra strawberries. A fresh, tasty combination for birthdays and other special occasions.
- Cake Ingredients
1 1/2 sticks, unsalted, allowed margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs or equivalent
3 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup almond milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 lemons, zested and juiced (aim for 1/4 cup lemon juice)
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 pint homemade preserves or 1 cup Strawberry Jam
3-4 pureed strawberries
1/2 pint Strawberry Jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare two 8 inch cake pans by cutting a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom and edges. Cut the portion that is bulky and extends above the pan.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. Mix until combined.
4. In another bowl, combine almond milk, vegetable oil, and lemon juice. Whisk until combined.
5. In the bowl of your mixer, beat the unsalted, allowed margarine until smooth. Slowly add in the sugar and mix for 3-5 minutes until it is fluffy. Add in the eggs or egg equivalent.
6. Slowly begin to add the flour and almond milk mixture to the mixer. Add 1/4 flour mixture, 1/3 milk mixture, 1/4 flour mixture, 1/3 milk mixture, 1/4 flour mixture, 1/3 milk mixture, and 1/4 flour mixture. Mix until combined on low. Do not over mix.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and smooth the top as needed.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center and make sure it comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the pans.
9. For the "buttercream", cream the unsalted, allowed margarine until smooth, Slowly add in powdered sugar and strawberry jam until blended. Continue mixing on medium speed for 3-5 minutes then reduce the speed to low and mix for another 1-2 minutes.
10. Carefully turn one of the cakes onto a plate. Spread "buttercream" and extra strawberry jam in the center. Carefully turn the other cake and place on top of filling.
11. Frost the cake. Decorate as desired and top with extra strawberries!