Spinach Onion Mushroom Stuffed Steak Rolls
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Nut-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free, Gluten-Free
Stuffed Steak Rolls are a delicious, gourmet recipe that you can make from home! These Spinach Onion Mushroom Stuffed Steak Rolls are made of steak stuffed with sweet onions, garlic, mushrooms, spinach, and provolone cheese. We have made this recipe with both flank steak or tenderloin steak. For flank steak, you want to select a thin slice of flank steak or slice it into two. Tenderloin seems to roll much easier! Also, you can sub the provolone cheese, for the most-accessible white vegan cheese you can find (ex: mozzarella).
- 1-3 tbsp. buttery spread
2 sweet onions, sliced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
3 tbsp. garlic, mined
1 tsp. freshly ground sea salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
8 slices vegan provolone or mozzarella cheese
1 cup spinach, chopped
2 lb. flank steak or tenderloin
Toothpicks and/or butcher twine
1. In a cast iron or another skillet, heat 1 tbsp. buttery spread. Add onions and mushrooms. Sauté until the onions start to caramelize, about 15-minutes. Add another tbsp. of buttery spread as needed. Once the onions have started to caramelize, add minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
2. Lay the steak out on a cutting board, aim for 1/4 inch thickness max. Slice the steak as needed. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Transfer the onion mixture on top of the steak. Add spinach then vegan cheese.
4. Starting at the bottom of the steak, carefully roll it up tightly. You want the grain of the meat to run horizontally. Use toothpicks or twine to secure the steak roll. Use one toothpick for each 1/2 slice. Cut the steak into rolls, about 1/2 inch in width.
5. After rinsing the skillet, heat it over medium heat. Add the steak rolls, do not overcrowd the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, flipping until cooked to your desired doneness.
6. Remove the toothpicks, serve, and enjoy!