Spiced Apple Butter
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free, Gluten-Free
Jams, Jellies, & Sauces
Incredibly versatile butter that adds a wonderful apple flavor to your creations. Spiced Apple Butter is a variation of apple butter with the addition of cinnamon, ground cloves, and allspice.
- 4 lbs. apples
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups water
4 cups sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1. Cut apples into quarters, remove core and seeds.
2. In a large pot, combine apples, vinegar, and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook about 20 minutes or until the apples are soft.
3. Remove the pot from heat. Strain the apples and remove the skin.
4. Combine the apple mixture, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ground cloves, allspice, and lemon zest/juice in a large pot. Aim for 1/2 cup sugar per 1 cup of apple mixture.
5. Cook the apple mixture uncovered over low heat, stirring often to prevent burning. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until thick.
6. Sterilize and prepare the jars. Fire up the canner.
7. Transfer to canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
8. Place jar in canner and process for 10 minutes
9. Remove jars from canner. Let cool for 24 hours - you might hear a popping sound as the jar seals. Identify and date the jars.
10. Store in a cool, dry, dark place.