Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Shellfish-Free
Shepard's Pie is a classic casserole with beef and vegetables in a gravy base topped with mashed potatoes.
- Meat & Vegetable Base
2 lbs. ground beef, lamb, or venison
2 tsp. parsley
1 tsp. rosemary
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. buttery spread
1 cup carrots, diced
1 white onion, diced
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
2 garlic cloves, diced
2 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup beef broth
2 tbsp. tomato paste
Mashed Potato Topping
2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and diced
8 tbsp. buttery spread
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
1. Bake at 400 degrees.
2. In a cast iron or large skillet, cook and crumble beef until cooked through. Add parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
3. In the same cast iron or large skillet, add buttery spread and olive oil. Add diced carrots and onion. Sauté until carrots are cooked through. Add minced garlic and cook for another minute. Add frozen peas and corn.
4. Create a roux. Add the flour, toss to coat, and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add in beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste. Mix and cook for 1-2 minutes until well combine. Stir in beef mixture and mix well.
5. Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large pot. Cover the potatoes with water. Bring the water to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
6. Drain the potatoes. Return potatoes to pot. Add buttery spread, almond milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mash the potatoes until well combined.
7. Add vegan parmesan cheese. Stir until well combined.
8. Pour beef mixture into a 9x13 baking dish. Spread it out in an even layer.
9. Carefully, spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the beef mixture. Carefully spread into an even layer.
10. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes.