Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Nut-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free
Arrabbiata sauce is a spicy sauce made of garlic, tomatoes, and dried chili peppers cooked in olive oil. Inspired by Italian restaurants, our favorite way to serve Arrabiata is by tossing the penne in the arrabbiata sauce and adding Italian Sausage on top.
- 12 Italian Sausages
1 lb. penne rigate
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 red pepper, diced
1 white onion, diced
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp. tomato paste
8 basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
1. Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat. Add Italian sausages and brown for 5 minutes, then add water, cover, and simmer for another 10 minutes until cooked through. Repeat until all sausages are cooked.
2. In a medium to large skillet, heat olive oil. Add diced red peppers and onion. Sauté until onions become translucent. Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes then sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package instructions.
4. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer over low heat for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add fresh chopped basil.
5. Once the noodles are done, strain and add to sauce. Toss pasta to coat. Taste test and add salt, pepper, and more red pepper flakes as desired.
6. Serve with Italian Sausage. Add vegan Parmesan, and fresh chopped parsley on top.