Pasta E Fagioli
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Nut-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free
Inspired by Olive Garden, this copycat version is much heartier and goes great with breadsticks! Pasta E Fagioli is made of a tomato-based sauce with beans, hot Italian sausage, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and Ditalini pasta.
- 3 cups chicken broth
16 oz. tomato sauce
15 oz. diced tomatoes
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
¾ tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
15 oz. red kidney beans, rinsed
15 oz. great northern beans, rinsed
1 lb. hot Italian sausage
1 onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
2 stalk celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. Ditalini pasta
1 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. In 6 quart or larger pot, combine chicken broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, and rinsed beans. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, cook hot Italian sausage, stirring occasionally and breaking up the chunks.
3. While the sausage is cooking, dice the onion, carrots, and celery.
4. Once the sausage is done, transfer the meat to the soup pot and leave the grease in the pan. Add carrots, onion, and celery. Add a 1 tbsp. olive oil as needed. Sauté for 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes. Transfer veggies to soup pot.
5. Heat the soup to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, cook the D'Italia pasta according to package instructions.
7. To serve, add pasta to bottom of bowl and ladle soup over noodles. Enjoy!