Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free
Deep-fried homemade onion rings made with sweet onion inside with crunchy, seasoned, breading on the outside. Pace yourself when making these... and try to eat only 1 per frying batch so that you don't get a stomach ache :).
- 3 cups almond milk
3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
3 sweet onions
5 cups flour
5 tbsp. onion powder
5 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne (optional)
1. To create a buttermilk like consistency, combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar in bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes and it will thicken.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Mix until seasoning is evenly distributed.
3. Peel and slice onion rings. You can cut them as thin or wide as you like!
4. Fire up the deep fryer and add the appropriate amount of oil depending on your fryer.
5. Dip the onion into the flour mixture, then the "buttermilk" mixture, see first instruction, and then back into the flour mixture. You can bread the onion rings ahead of time and set them on a plate so that you can fry an entire batch at once and cook them evenly.
6. Fry in small batches, anywhere from 2-5 minutes depending on the temperature of your fryer. You'll know they are done when they start to turn golden brown.
7. Remove from fryer and place on paper towel to drain grease.