Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Nut-Free, Shellfish-Free, Fish-Free
Whether it's taco Tuesday, fajita night, burrito night, etc. Mexican rice is the perfect classic side!
- 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
1 white onion, coarsely chopped
2 cups chicken broth
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 cup canola oil
2 cups jasmine rice
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
Limes and Cilantro
1. In a food processor, puree the peeled tomatoes and onions until smooth. Measure 2 cups and set aside.
2. Heat a large skillet with 1 tbsp. canola oil over medium heat. Add the rice and sauté for about 5 minutes until lightly golden. Add the jalapenos and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté for another 1 minute.
3. Add 2 cups of the tomato mixture, chicken broth, salt, and cumin. Bring to boil then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.
4. Remove the rice from heat, fluff with fork, cover again, and let it steam for another 10 minutes.
5. Serve with fresh cilantro and lime juice. Add more salt as needed.