Lemon Chicken Soup
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Nut-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free
Have chicken leftovers? Try this recipe! Lemon Chicken Soup is a delicious combination of chicken, shallots, celery, carrots, rosemary, lemon, sweet potatoes, and orzo. Refreshing, healthy, and hearty with an abundance of flavors blended together to satisfy your palette any time, year-round.
- 2-3 lbs. boneless chicken breasts
2 tbsp. olive oil
2-3 shallots, diced
2-3 celery stalks, diced
2-3 carrots, diced
2 tsp. fresh rosemary
10 cups chicken broth
1 lemon, peeled and juiced
1-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 to 1 lb. orzo
1. Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet oven medium heat. Sear the boneless chicken breasts, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside. Repeat with remaining chicken.
2. Using the same pan, add another 1 tbsp. olive oil along with the diced shallots, celery, and carrots. Sauté for 5-7 minutes. Add rosemary and sauté for another 1-2 minutes. Transfer to large 6 quart or larger soup pot.
3. Dice the chicken into small pieces and add to soup pan. It will continue to cook while you cook the soup.
4. Use a peeler to peel 7-9 lemon strips from the lemon (aim for about 2-inches so that you can easier spot and remove the peels later). Then, cut the lemon and reserve 2 tbsp. lemon juice. Set aside.
5. In the soup pan along with the veggies and chicken, add the lemon peel strips and chicken broth. Bring to boil and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, bring another pot of water with 1 tsp. salt to boil. If you have any extra lemon peels, add it to the water and cook the orzo according to package instructions.
7. Add the sweet potatoes to the pot and cook for 10 minutes more until tender.
8. Remove and discard lemon peels.
9. Add orzo to the bowl and ladle soup over orzo. Top with parsley!