Leftover Prime Rib Soup
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Nut-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free
The next time you make prime rib, save the bone and make soup! Leftover prime rib soup is made of white onion, carrots, celery, garlic, prime rib, and barley.
- 3-4 beef ribs
10 cups water
5 cubes beef bouillon
1 white onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
3 garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. rosemary
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup barley
1. Add rib bone, water, and beef bouilon cubes to large soup pot. Bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer and place cover on top. Cook for 30 minutes or so.
2. Cook barley separately according to package instructions.
3. Meanwhile, diced the carrots, celery, and white onion. Add 1 tbsp. oil to large pan. Add diced onion, carrots, and celery. Sauté veggies until onion translucent. Add minced garlic cloves and cook for 1-2 minutes.
4. Remove rib bone from pot, transfer to plate, and let cool. Add sautéed vegetables to soup pot along with bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, and red wine.
5. Remove meat from bone. If you prefer a heartier soup, you can add additional diced/shredded prime rib to soup pot.
6. Bring soup to boil then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
7. To serve, add barley into bowl and then ladle soup over the barley.