Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Nut-Free
Jambalaya is a classic New Orleans dish made of chicken, shrimp, andouille sausage, tomatoes, onion, red pepper, green pepper, celery, and creole seasoning.
4 tbsp. olive oil (divided)
2 lbs. chicken breasts, sliced into chunks
1 lb. andouille sausage, sliced
1 lb. shrimp
2 cups sweet onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
2 red peppers, diced
1 green pepper, diced
4 garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
4 cups chicken broth
28 oz. crushed tomatoes
2 tsp. Worcestershire
2 cups long grain rice
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1/2 tbsp. onion powder
1/2 tbsp. salt
1/2 tbsp. pepper
1/2 tbsp. oregano
1/2 tbsp. cayenne
1/2 tbsp. thyme
1. Combine creole seasoning ingredients in small bowl. Mix until combined. Please note you will have some seasoning leftover. We used about 1/2 tbsp. to season the chicken and 1/2 tbsp. to season the shrimp. That provided enough spice for the entire recipe.
2 .Slice the chicken and coat with creole seasoning. In a large cast iron pan, add 1 tbsp. olive oil then chicken breast. Cook until cooked through. Remove from heat and transfer to plate. Once cooled, shred with a fork.
3. Using the same pan, add another 1 tbsp. olive oil along with diced onion, celery, red peppers, and green peppers. Sauté until onion is translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Transfer to large soup pot.
4. In the same pan, add another 1 tbsp. olive oil then sausage. Cook until sausage gets some color and starts to brown.
5. In a large soup pot, combine shredded chicken, pepper mixture, sausage, bay leaf, chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, and Worcestershire. Bring to boil, add rice, place cover on pot, and reduce heat to simmer.
6. Meanwhile, add 1 tbsp. olive oil to cast iron. Season shrimp with creole and toss to coat. Cook shrimp in cast iron for 1-2 minutes per side until cooked through.
7. Once the rice is cooked, add the shrimp. Serve with green onions.