German Potato Salad
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free, Gluten-Free
Grandma's famous German Potato Salad is a potato salad recipe featuring red potatoes, caramelized onions, bacon, and tangy dressing. It is an excellent dish to bring to a cookout, potluck, holiday party, etc. Serve warm or cold whichever you prefer.
- 1 lb. red potatoes
1 white/yellow onion, diced
½ lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
½ cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp. Dijon
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
8 green onions (optional)
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add red potatoes and reduce heat to medium high. Cook for 15 minutes or until you can pierce the potato with a fork. You want the potatoes to be cooked, but not so much that they fall apart. Remove from heat, let cool, and slice the potatoes.
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet. Once cooked, remove from pan and set on paper towel to drain. Once cooled, crumble the bacon. Reserve 1 tbsp. bacon grease.
3. Sauté diced onion in bacon grease for 6-8 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, combine sliced potatoes, crumbled bacon, and onions.
5. In a measuring cup, combine apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, and olive oil. Mix to combine. Pour over potato mixture and toss.
6. Top with green onion and/or parsley.
7. Can serve warm or cold.