General Tso’s Chicken
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free
General Tso's Chicken is a classic Asian dish with crispy chicken pieces coated in a sweet and spicy sauce. Even though it is similar to Sesame Chicken, the sauce has a more savory flavor with a little more heat.
- 1-2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken, diced into 1-inch pieces
1 cup flour
1 cup corn starch
1 cup Almond milk
Vegetable Oil for frying
2-3 tsp. sesame seeds
Green onions, sliced
White rice, cooked
2 tsp. vegetable oil
2 tsp. minced garlic
3/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce or Liquid Amino Acids
1. Prepare the breading station - diced bite size chicken, one bowl with almond milk, one bowl with flour, and one bowl with cornstarch. Season the flour/cornstarch with salt and pepper
2. Dip the chicken into the flour mixture, then milk, and then back into the flour mixture. Repeat with remaining chicken.
3. Heat vegetable oil in skillet. Use enough vegetable oil so that there is about 1 inch depth.
4. In batches, add the chicken to the pan. Make sure you don't overcrowd the pan. Cook for 4 minutes, then flip, and cook for another 4 minutes. Remove from heat once browned and place on a paper towel. Repeat with remaining chicken.
5. While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce. Heat the 2 tsp. vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute.
6. In a bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, brown sugar, chicken broth, and soy sauce. Mix until well combined. Add to the sautéed garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for another 3-4 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
7. Combine the chicken and sauce in a large skillet/bowl and toss to coat
8. Serve with rice and garnish with sesame seeds and diced green onion.