Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free, Gluten-Free, Low Carb, Low Fat, Diabetic
4 Pint Jars
Dilly beans is a classic canning recipe passed down from my grandma. Dilly beans make are a great side dish for summer barbeques!
- 2 lbs. green beans
4 garlic cloves
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
1 bunch fresh dill with heads
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
2 tsp. pickling salt
1. Prepare and sterilize jars ahead of time. Fire up the canner.
2. Prepare the beans. Rinse and trim the ends from both sides.
3. Add dill sprig and spices to jars.
4. Pack the beans into the jars as tightly as possible.
5. To make the brine, combine vinegar, water, and salt in medium to large saucepan. Bring to boil.
6. Pour brine over beans in mason jar. Fill almost to the top, leaving about 1/2 inch headspace. Brine will be hot!
7. Wipe down jars. Center lid on jar and apply band until tight.
8. Place jar in canner and process for 10 minutes.
9. Remove jars from canner. Let cool for 24 hours - you might hear a popping sound as the jar seals.
10. Store in a cool, dry, dark place for up to 1 year. Label and date the jars.
*** Skip the canning and simply store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.