Cabbage & Beef Soup
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free, Nut-Free
This cabbage and beef soup is a wonderful medley of flavors from the beef to the seasonings, from the veggies to the cabbage. Even if you think you don't like cabbage soup, you have to try this one. You will be pleasantly surprised!
- 1 lb. ground beef
1 steak (rib-eye, new york strip, etc.)
2 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup celery, diced
2 tsp. minced garlic, minced
4 cups beef broth
24 oz. tomato sauce
3 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. parsley
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
½ cup long grain rice
4 cups chopped green cabbage
1. In a large skillet oven medium heat, cook and crumble beef. Once cooked, drain grease and transfer beef to soup pot.
2. Dice the steak into small pieces. Raise the temperature for the skillet to sear the beef. Then transfer to soup pot.
3. Add 2 tbsp. olive to the same skillet. Add diced onion, carrots, and celery. Cook for 5-7 minutes until onions become translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Transfer vegetable mixture to soup pot.
4. Add beef broth, tomato sauce, brown sugar, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper, and cabbage. Simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook rice separately according to package instructions.
6. To serve, add rice to a bowl and top with soup.