Beef & Barley Soup
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Nut-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free
Inspired by Grandma's recipe, Beef & Barley Soup is a combination of beef, carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes, corn, green beans, seasonings, and barley.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (divided)
2 lb. beef round steak or beef chuck
3-4 carrots, diced
2-3 celery stalks, diced
16 oz. canned tomatoes
½ cup corn
½ cup green beans
1 tbsp. parsley
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
¾ tsp. basil
5 cups water
1 cup barley, cooked
1. In a large skillet or cast iron, add olive oil. Season beef with salt and pepper. Sear beef for about 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan. Once cooled, dice into small pieces.
2. Using the same pan, add another 1 tbsp. olive oil. Add carrots, celery, and onion. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add minced garlic cloves and sauté for another minute.
3. Transfer vegetables to a large soup pot. Add diced tomatoes, diced beef, parsley, beef bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, basil, and water.
4. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Add corn and green beans. Simmer for another 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook barley separately according to package instructions.
6. If meal prepping, store soup separately from barley. When ready to serve, bring soup to slow boil and add barley. Serve in bowls and top with parsley.