Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Nut-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free
Dutch Apple Pie is our favorite apple pie! Made of homemade pie crust with a flavorful apple filling and delicious streusel crumb topping.
- Pie Crust
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
12 tbsp. cold unsalted butter
1/3 cup cold vegetable shortening
~6 tbsp. ice water
2 lbs. apples (we use Cortland), peeled, cored, and cut in 1/4 in slices
1 cup sugar
4 tbsp. brown sugar
6 tbsp. butter, melted
4 tbsp. flour
4 tsp. apple pie spice
A pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. apple pie spice
1 tsp. salt
14 tbsp. cold unsalted butter
1 cup old fashioned oats
1. For the crust, in a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, and sugar. Mix together. Cut butter into small pieces and add to bowl. Cut butter and vegetable shortening until dough forms small clumps. Add in ice water 1 tbsp. at a time. Continue to mix/work the dough until the dough forms a ball. Place dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, for the streusel topping, combine flour, brown sugar, sugar, apple pie spice, salt, cold unsalted butter, and old fashioned oats. Mix and break up the butter into small pieces.
2. For the filling combine sugar, brown sugar, melted butter, flour, apple pie spice, and a pinch of salt. Mix together.
3. Peel, core, and cut the apples in 1/4 slices. Add apples to filling.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
5. Divide the pie crust dough in half. Roll out half the pie crust so that it is even and drape it over the pie pan. Repeat with other half of the dough.
6. Divide the pie filling between both pie pans. Top with the streusel topping.
7. Place pie in oven and bake for 40-50 minutes until streusel top is golden brown.