Apple Pecan Salad
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Soy-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free
The Apple Pecan Salad is the perfect fall salad with sweet potatoes, pecans, dried cranberries, red onion, couscous, ham, spinach, and apples covered in a sweet and tangy maple dressing. A unique and nutritious combination of flavors and textures. Sure to please any palate.
- Salad Ingredients
1 sweet potato
1 tsp. olive oil
½ cup pecans
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1 red onion, diced
1 cup couscous, cooked and cooled
1 ham steak, diced
1 tbsp. brown sugar
Apples (1 per 2 servings)
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. maple syrup
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Dice sweet potato into small pieces. Toss to coat with 1 tsp. olive oil and season with salt and pepper. On a baking sheet lined with foil, spread out diced sweet potatoes in an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove, set aside, and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, cook 1 cup couscous according to package instructions. Remove from heat, set aside, and let cool.
4. Dice the ham into cubes. Add to a sauce pan with 1 tbsp. brown sugar. Cook for 10 minutes or so over medium heat to release some of the juices. Remove from heat, set aside, and let cool.
5. Dice the red onion. In a large bowl, combine the diced onions, pecans, and dried cranberries along with the cooled sweet potato, ham, and couscous. Toss to combine.
6. In a half pint mason jar, combine olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Shake to mix.
7. For meal prep, store the salad ingredients separate from the dressing, spinach, and apples.
8. When it is time to serve, combine approximately 1/4 of the prepared salad mix with a few handfuls of spinach and 1 diced apple. Toss to coat with salad dressing.