Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free
These old-fashioned apple dumplings are made of baked apples with a cinnamon-sugar filling and wrapped in a pie crust.
- Dough Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup almond milk
6 small Gala apples
6 tbsp. white sugar
1 tsp. apple pie spice
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
2 tbsp. butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix to combine. Slowly work the shortening into the flour mixture until crumbly. Add the almond milk. Work the dough into a ball. Place in refrigerator.
3. In a small sauce pan, combine the sauce ingredients. Over medium-high heat, bring the mixture to a boil and let it boil for 2-3 minutes. Turn off and remove from heat.
4. Peel and core the apples.
5. Combine the filling ingredients in a bowl. Mix until combined.
6. Divide the dough into six equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into squares (large enough to wrap around the apples).
7. Place one apple on each square of dough. Fill the center with the sugar mixture. Gently wrap the dough around the apple. Make sure to seal the dough so there are no openings. Place wrapped apple on a 13x9 inch baking pan. Repeat with remaining apples, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
8. Spoon the sauce over the dumplings. Sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
9. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately spoon the sauce from the bottom of the pan over the dumplings.